It is sort of like "Bear with me for a second." It would mean to keep listening while an idea is explained, or accept a premise while the explanation is happening. I'm pretty sure it starts with a p, and it's sort of like "patronize" but with less implicit skepticism. Thanks!

closed as unclear what you're asking by Hot Licks, Scott, Drew, NVZ, user66974 Oct 13 '16 at 10:09

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • That "p" for Peter got me thinking about the word 'appreciate" which has a strong 'pree' sound in its second syllable. Thus I'd like to propose the following: "I appreciate what you're saying. Please continue". – Peter Point Oct 13 '16 at 1:24
  • There is "humor me." Maybe in some places it's spelled with a silent "p", like in "ptarmigan"? – Azor Ahai Oct 13 '16 at 4:30
  • The question seems clear to me: what is a synonym for the phrase "bear with me." – Zan700 Oct 17 '16 at 20:01


to patiently allow (someone) to do or say something (Merriam-Webster)

PS: You threw me off with that p. Placate crossed my mind.


How about be patient with, which is another way to say bear with me?

From the Free Dictionary:

bear with someone/somebody: to be patient with someone or something [emphasis added]

Patient begins with a "p", and unlike "patronize me", bears no implicit skepticism.

"Be patient with me for a second" or "Please be patient with me for a second."

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.