I'm looking for a word, or maybe phrase, that could characterize the following situations:
- Nearly dying as a result of an attempted suicide, leading to a long period of arduous physical and mental recuperation.
- Going through a period of time where certain symptoms of a medical condition return, leading to things like seizures, episodes, profuse bleeding, etc.
- Getting hit by a car, resulting in months of physical and mental therapy.
Notice how in each of these situations, something physically and mentally horrible happened to the person and lots of mandatory recuperation followed. I am not trying to characterize the following situations:
- Having a family member die, resulting in periodic sorrow that lasts for about a month
- Spraining an ankle, resulting in a few weeks of easy recovery
In no way do I mean to downplay the severity of the last two situations. I'm just trying to make a strong distinction in my writing.