I was just wondering, is there a verb for the use of uptalk (using an inflection at the end of a statement)? So, something like this:

I've been on several walks recentLY. (inflection at the end of a statement, as if it were a question) (Some would add a question mark after such a statement, to signal the stress, but this is non-standard and confusing except when the sentence is a declarative question.)

Is there a word to express the using of such a style? (i.e. a word that can fill this blank responding to the previous sentence:)

Stop ______!

I've already got "sounding unsure of yourself" or "inflecting your sentences", but it doesn't sound brief (or good enough). When I searched online I couldn't find anything, I just found blogposts that were just trying to convey the message "stop being indecisive".

  • @EdwinAshworth But I'm asking this for just at the end of a statement. If I was asking for inflections in general, it would be "uptalk", yes. I don't really know how to edit the question, since it seems different from the possible duplicate already. – Qwerp-Derp Oct 8 '16 at 0:35
  • 1
    From the duplicate: 'It's called the rising terminal.' – Edwin Ashworth Oct 8 '16 at 0:37
  • @EdwinAshworth So, "stop rising your terminal"? – Qwerp-Derp Oct 8 '16 at 1:12
  • 1
    @Qwerp-Derp, probably "stop raising your terminal," since "rise" is an intransitive verb (it doesn't take an object). An aside, although this is technically correct, I doubt many people would understand what you mean (since you had to look up this terminology yourself). – vpn Oct 8 '16 at 2:08
  • 1
    @vanderpn This is why I'm requesting a word... – Qwerp-Derp Oct 8 '16 at 7:47

"Stop uptalking!"




a manner of speaking in which declarative sentences are uttered with rising intonation at the end, as if they were questions.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.