I know there is a word for this in Spanish but I can't remember what it is. I've been searching online for a while but have had no luck. All I remember is it's "C-something-ismo".

Is there an English word for this?

  • Trumpian Politics? – BladorthinTheGrey Oct 7 '16 at 5:44
  • Welcome to ELU.SE. This site strives to provide well researched, intriguing questions. Kai, single word requests as yours are required to provide an example sentence about the way the word will be used. Take the tour or have a look at the help center to find out more about good questions. – Helmar Oct 7 '16 at 10:55

There is a word charisma but it is something which causes such support. ODO translates it to carisma in Spanish. I am not sure if there is a special word to denote that kind of support itself.

You may say, for example:

The charismatic but incompetent leader beguiled the voters into supporting him.


charisma NOUN

1 [mass noun] Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

‘he has tremendous charisma and stage presence’

‘I think he has charisma, but it's not the sort of charisma that attracts the ordinary voter.’

charismatic ADJECTIVE

1 Exercising a compelling charm which inspires devotion in others. ‘he was a charismatic figure with great appeal to the public’

‘It was the charismatic crowd-pleaser who charmed the British public and won two massive election victories for a Labour Party that had almost given up hope of ever seeing power again.’

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.