I'm reading Biber's Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English. At some point the author lists families of words, which are: lexical words, function words and inserts. And then, after the unit devoted to function words he describes a 'special classes of words', among them single-word classes, wh-words, numerals and interjection. I'm just starting my adventure with studying English grammar thus I'd like to know whether these two notions are one and the same thing.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.