What's the expression for touching someone with your forefinger or hand to, for example to get their attention, to wake them up, or to mark your presence.
It depends how, and where on the body, you touch them. There are three main ways to do do this
- Tap, to give one or more light blows, usually on the shoulder.
- Prod, to jab with a finger or an implement such as a ruler or a stick. The jab can be gentle or it can be harder (sometimes referred to as more sharp), it's still a prod.
- Stroke (3rd definition of the noun,1st definition of the verb), this is a gentle moving of the hand or fingers over a part of the body, usually an arm or hand. Strokes on other parts of the body are more intimate.
Examples of the usage are
- "I gave him a tap on the shoulder"
- "I prodded his arm sharply with my pen"
- "I stroked her hand gently"
There are many ways to add subtle changes to these statements; there's probably enough material for a book, and the book would almost certainly miss some things. This is just a starting point.
Tapping is probably the best answer, but you can also poke him with your finger, just to give you another option.