What's it called when you like to do something because you're skilled at it? My searches didn't yield much but I watched a presentation with this term in it and I can't remember what it was.

  • Welcome to ELU. Please take a moment to review the single-word-requests tag info to see whether this question could be improved -- although it's reasonably clear, a sample sentence would probably help.
    – Andrew Leach
    Sep 24 '16 at 9:06
  • "Risk averse" works fairly well.
    – The Nate
    Oct 3 '16 at 11:17

I would be inclined to guess that the presentation you watched was on the concept of flow. The Wikipedia entry for flow introduces the idea this way:

In positive psychology, flow, also known as the zone, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does. Named by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, the concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields (and has an especially big recognition in occupational therapy)...

Flow involves more than merely liking to do something because you're good at it, so if you are looking for a term that calls out and is restricted to this single element, flow isn't it.

A associated word, and a component of flow is the adjective, autotelic. The Oxford Dictionaries site offers this definition:

(of an activity or a creative work) having an end or purpose in itself.

Although not exactly what you asked, this word perhaps comes close to embodying the notion of work that is "its own reward".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.