Hi everyone is there a common way to express an uncontrolled fall, when the body goes flipping on it self before crashing. like in diving for example so that the question wouldn't be restricted starting 18 and above haha.

anyway thanks for your help.

  • 1
    Tumbling. – Dan Bron Sep 20 '16 at 22:28

I'd like to suggest, "He fell head over heels from the top of the stairs all the way down to the bottom".

Head over heels: Turning over completely in forward motion, as in a somersault (Google online).

  • @habibhassani And to satisfy the OP's requirement for something a little bit more colorful, may I suggest that he fell "arse-over-elbow", as in falling over in a dramatic fashion. Since my spellcheck objects to "arse", I think this slang expression is BE rather than AE. – Peter Point Sep 21 '16 at 0:55
  • It gets more colourful, 'arse over tit' is a common variant. (ps 'heals'?) – Spagirl Sep 21 '16 at 1:04
  • @Spagirl Quite so! I missed your more colourful variant the first time round. How clever you are. Evidently you are not a booby! – Peter Point Sep 21 '16 at 1:40
  • I should add that the word "booby" crept back into the lexicon when my hero, Dr. Zachary Smith, the dastardly character in TV's Lost in Space, kept chiding his nemesis, the loquacious robot, with the put down, "You big booby!" – Peter Point Sep 21 '16 at 1:56
  • @PeterPoint You're up to your old tricks. – Richard Kayser Sep 21 '16 at 2:23

Hurtle [or hurtling] is a good word for this.

hurtle: move or cause to move at a great speed, typically in a wildly uncontrolled manner


"After he fell off the building, he hurtled toward the ground."

"The damaged plane hurtled though the sky to its demise."

  • thank's but this kind of point out the speed while i need to indicate the rotating movement. – habibhassani Sep 21 '16 at 13:10
  • @habibhassani Okay. I think hurtling can include rotating (see wildly uncontrolled manner), I agree it doesn't have to. Thanks for the feedback. – Richard Kayser Sep 21 '16 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.