I'm looking for a word which has as its definition,

To persuade by the induction of fear.

closed as off-topic by MetaEd Sep 14 '16 at 15:07

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


Perhaps coerce: To persuade someone to do something by force or threat.


Intimidate is probably the closest fit.

  • 1
    Thanks Sam, I had a link in my copy buffer as you edited that. Quick work! – Snow Sep 14 '16 at 14:58
  • I was just adding it as an alternative to my own post in an edit having had a bout of tip-of-the-tongue syndrome, when your answer came through! – Sam Sep 14 '16 at 15:52

If using formal language i would suggest Coerce informally i might use Bully

  • Questions should be answered as an expert would answer them: comprehensively, with explanation and context. Support your answer with facts that show that it is right, ideally with citations. Unsupported answers may be removed. – MetaEd Sep 14 '16 at 15:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.