I am more accustomed to seeing the term "cover letter". But one company I'm looking at now says "covering letter".

Is there a difference? (Perhaps British vs American?)

  • In the U.S., we use "cover letter", at least that's been my experience. I haven't heard anyone one use "covering letter" in I don't know how long, if ever (and I'm talking decades). Good candidate for Google Ngrams. – Richard Kayser Sep 13 '16 at 4:33
  • @RichardKayser Likewise and vice-versa in the UK. – Peter Point Sep 13 '16 at 6:18

According to ODO, covering letter is used in UK English, and cover letter in US English. They mean the exact same thing.

According to Google Ngram, since the 1980s, covering letter is in a steady decline, while cover letter has become the most popular one.

Google Ngram

According to Google Trends, cover letter is the most popular one.

Google Trends

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    You pretty much covered it! – blackpen Sep 13 '16 at 8:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.