In the subway stations of Vienna there are "info-walls", on which

  • map of the city,
  • plan of the subway,
  • emergency communicator and
  • some other information (such as terms and conditions)

is displayed (see 2 red rectangles in the image below).

Info-Wall in the subway station of Vienna

What are these things called in English?

  • 2
    Information boards? Passenger notification panels? Advertisement spaces? I think the answer varies from place to place. Good question and good luck on getting a generic answer. – BiscuitBoy Sep 12 '16 at 7:41
  • 2
    I don't think there is a generic term, but 'double-sided information boards' would probably be understood by everyone. 'Panels' instead of 'boards' if they are electronic displays. – Charl E Sep 12 '16 at 10:41
  • 2
    I would call it a billboard. – Hot Licks Sep 12 '16 at 17:13
  • I'd call it a panel, electronic or not, if the display area is a panel. (Inset, distinct) Display, panel, kiosk, and board all have slight differences but apply to some extent. (Kiosk least) – The Nate Sep 13 '16 at 19:01

I would call that kind of thing a kiosk.

One definition of kiosk is:

a small structure in a public area used for providing information or displaying advertisements, often incorporating an interactive display screen or screens.

  • To me, a kiosk needs to be three-dimensional. – David Garner Sep 12 '16 at 18:14
  • Yes, they can be. Look on Google. – JLG Sep 12 '16 at 21:34
  • 2
    Well, well. I always imagined a kiosk as something that can contain at least one person. Thanks. – David Garner Sep 12 '16 at 22:55
  • 1
    I think that is the definition and marketing folks have taken liberties... Causing drift. merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kiosk – The Nate Sep 13 '16 at 19:05

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.