If I was a thing/person who merges things, what would my title be? Merger is the end product, and there doesn't seem to be something similar to "comparator".

I'm actually looking to name a software tool which merges two objects.

  • Interesting, try consolidator, or integrator.
    – NVZ
    Commented Sep 7, 2016 at 17:31
  • A merger isn't actually the end product - it is the whole process. But I agree that its existence would seem to preclude its use for one who merges.
    – WS2
    Commented Sep 7, 2016 at 19:12

3 Answers 3


Software is often named for what it does or what it helps to create. Spreadsheet software is not a spread sheet in itself; it helps make spreadsheets. What helps you edit videos? Video editing software!

I would just call it merger software, or similar (merge, merging).

There are some variations of this that may also work:

When you try to describe people the same way, it comes off very informal, and sometimes it's not something anyone says. It can also come off as rude. You're our coffee guy means that you're the person (usually an intern) that gets our coffee.

(I would not use any of the above suggestions to describe a person.)



noun 1. a person or thing that integrates.

  • I liked this at first glance and then remembered mathematical software that integrates. Commented Sep 9, 2016 at 3:31

The software can be called Merge.

The description of the software would say: this software merges two __________.

Example: PDF SAM -- Split and Merge.

Which is similar to the software called "Cloud Convert".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.