Say I have a book open, and the page on the left is A and the page on the right is B. There is a picture of me on page B. I'm pointing out to my friend over text that there is a picture of her on page A, but I'm highlighting the fact that we're both on the same page! But not literally on the same page. Just, you can see both of us when you are turned to this page. I can't say "you're on the previous page" because it might mean you have to flip back a page to see her picture, which isn't as special. I can't say "We're next to each other!" because that's not very correct, there are other people on the page that I am on.

How do I word this? Is there a word for this? "We're on the same ____ of the book!"

  • 5
    Graphic designers might call this a two-page spread. So you could say, we're on the same "spread."
    – vpn
    Sep 4 '16 at 2:42
  • 3
    Opposite or facing page. You are both on the same spread.
    – Unrelated
    Sep 4 '16 at 3:41
  • Hopefully one of the two pages is on the right. Sep 4 '16 at 4:19
  • Haha, just noticed that too, @aparente001. Fixed.
    – Nagisa
    Sep 4 '16 at 5:04

One possibility is spread.

From Michigan State University Libraries:

When you open a book anywhere, you’ll see two pages: a left-hand page and a right-hand page, which face each other. These two pages together are called a spread.

Each section of your book should start on a right-hand page. The title page is always a right-hand page, the table of contents begins on a right-hand page, chapter 1 begins on a right-hand page, and so on.

Book designers call these two pages by the Latin terms “recto” for the right-hand page and “verso” for the reverse or left-hand page. This usage may help you remember that each new section always starts on the recto or right-hand page, not on the ‘reverse’.

Your example:

"We're on the same spread of the book!"

If you'd prefer a more familiar term, you could say:

"We're on opposite pages of the book!"

"We're on opposed pages of the book!"

"We're on adjacent pages of the book!"

Take your pick. :-) My favorite is "We're on opposite pages of the book!"

Note: I acknowledge that the comments on the question mention spread, as does @alwayslearning's answer. I didn't see either prior to submitting my answer.


You may say:

"We're on facing pages of the book!"


1. facing pages - two facing pages of a book or other publication

also spread head, spreadhead, spread



Positioned so as to face: two facing pages

Indeed, Sheth has arranged the images in such a way that you see two different worlds on facing pages.

Sadly, this information is not on the facing pages of the catalog I got, but maybe it's hidden in the text somewhere.

Note: It is acknowledged that the terms facing page & spread are already mentioned in the comments.

  • Do you need to acknowledge something was mentioned in comments? If they wanted to get the rep, they should have written an answer not a comment. (In fact, they should have anyway, because you shouldn't answer in comments...)
    – Adeptus
    Sep 5 '16 at 6:10
  • Facing pages. Excellent result for two friends. Nicely done. +1 Sep 5 '16 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.