I am looking for a word that describes a drawing of a word which looks like itself – almost like an autological word, but different because the word describes the image it is drawn within rather than itself.

E.g., drawing "fire" in a fiery blaze.

Here are some example picture that this word should be able to describe:

(source: cubeupload.com)
(source: cubeupload.com)

As you can see, both these drawings are _________

  • Illuminated script. Commented Sep 3, 2016 at 18:32
  • 3
    Autosymbolic. Commented Sep 3, 2016 at 18:36
  • 1
    This is answered at our sister site graphicdesign
    – bib
    Commented Sep 3, 2016 at 19:24
  • 1
    @bib The question appears there, but autosymbolic is a better word than autological (which the OP acknowledged as deficient). I'm tempted to add another answer on the GD.SE question!
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Sep 3, 2016 at 19:34
  • 1
    @bib * autologlyph
    – minseong
    Commented Sep 3, 2016 at 19:58

1 Answer 1



After being pointed in the right direction by bib in the comments, I found out about the word autologlyph, which seems to fit my purpose:

An autologlyph is an image that describes itself (perhaps loosely). [1]

The name, 'autologlyph' is with reference to autological words, and they could equally be called 'autological images'. [2]


Here are some images which are given as examples, they all seem to conform to what I was wanting to be able to describe with such a word:

(source: cubeupload.com)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.