My mother has a boyfriend, he has kids. How do I refer to them in relation to me besides saying my mom's boyfriend's kids. My mother is not biologically related to her boyfriends kids.

  • 3
    Step-siblings is the closest term I can find, but it has the implication that the parents are married. – Laurel Sep 1 '16 at 0:58
  • illegitimate child? – Archie Azares Sep 1 '16 at 6:19
  • @ArchieAzares Archie, would you please explain why you think this suggestion is relevant to the question? – Spagirl Sep 1 '16 at 9:06
  • "possible future step-siblings" – Mitch Sep 1 '16 at 18:34

A version of the popular phrase, "My brother from another mother" comes to mind. How about "My brother from my mother's significant other? or the shorter "Siblings from mom's (or dad's) Significant Other."

  • Why not simply say what the OP said: "My brother from my mother's boyfriend"? The only advantage provided "significant other" would be if my mother's boyfriend is something other than a boyfriend, e.g., a girlfriend. – Richard Kayser Sep 1 '16 at 5:22
  • if someone was talking to me about their 'brother from their mother's boyfriend' I think I would assume that they meant the two of them shared a mother but not a father. – Spagirl Sep 1 '16 at 12:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.