How do you refer to a person continuing along an outlined path through time? Specifically, what do you call the actual action of progressing from the earlier stages to the later/older stages?

I'm trying refer to the path a person takes through college (year 1, then 2, then 3, etc.), and what you would call the act of going through those steps/ progressing to the later ones.

The sentence I'm trying to complete is "it is common for students to do this as they _____." It needs to mean something like "progress through their years at school" or "get older", but "older/aging" only in reference to them rising through the grades. I just don't know how to say that in a shorter, more concise manner instead of literally stating "progress through their time at school". I know there has to be some better phrase that means "the act of someone moving through this specifically outlined set of time".

  • 1
    Why not simply progress?
    – Kevin
    Commented Aug 31, 2016 at 21:10
  • "progress" would work but only in a more lengthy description, like to literally say "they progress through the years of being at school", but I'm looking more for like a shorter idiom or phrase that implies that same meaning. Commented Aug 31, 2016 at 21:39
  • Since you have established some context with the word students, the phrase as they progress is sufficient to imply through their education.
    – Lawrence
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 12:18

4 Answers 4


The word "advance" is currently used in this way.

Oxford Dictionaries offers this definition, marked 1.1:

advance : Make or cause to make progress

An example sentence: "Michael advanced from third to fourth grade."

When progression is marked by a series of steps, this is the most common word used to describe progression through the steps in my experience.


They go/progress through their rites of passage (the broader sense given by Collins ):

rite of passage noun

1.a ceremony performed in some cultures at times when an individual changes his status, as at puberty and marriage

2.a significant event in a transitional period of someone's life


Although the wording is no shorter than that of "progress through their years at school," "continue [or progress or advance] along their academic path" offers a fairly relaxed, figurative way of describing what you refer to in your question title "progressing through an outlined set of steps/time."


The formal set of experiences necessary to fulfill the requirements of a degree or certification is often known as a curriculum. Sounds like you want some variation of an broader idiom which connotes either adherence, accordance, or lack thereof, to the requirements stipulated.

  • on track
    “That person is on track to complete their degree — in ten years!”
  • on the way
    “I'm well on my way to an early graduation.”
    Note: do not confuse this with similar idioms such as ‘along the way’ or ‘by the way’.

Well, I suppose I shall leave it at that for this answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.