I'm looking for the word you would use to describe the act of removing the genitals of a man.

From my research, I have come up with "castrate" "geld" "neuter" "emasculate" and "desex", but these all seem to describe the removal of the testicles only.

There is the word "penectomy" but that is the surgical removal of the penis, and seems to describe a formal, voluntary or medically necessary procedure. Is there a specific term for removing the penis and the testicles? The word I am looking for, if it exists, would describe the involuntary removal, such as during an attack.

  • 1
    The expression used to define what you are describing probably is "male genitals mutilation."
    – user66974
    Aug 27, 2016 at 21:28
  • 1
    @Josh61 genital singular I should think but otherwise you're completely right. Aug 27, 2016 at 21:39
  • bilateral orchiectomy, if everything else is left as it was.
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 28, 2016 at 0:47
  • 1
    – Kris
    Aug 28, 2016 at 1:22
  • I would have thought eunuchisation would express this, but every dictionary definition I can find just says that's a synonym of castration and/or emasculation. None of them, however, seems to have any opinion on whether castration/emasculation/eunuchisation entails removing only the testes or all the external reproductive organs. Aug 28, 2016 at 9:06

1 Answer 1


The concept you're looking to express is perhaps amputation. You could then speak of genital amputation or the act of amputating the genitals, or metaphorically, manhood, masculinity, or any of a variety of other euphemisms for male generative equipment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.