I have a label Teaching time that reflects the time-slot of the day or week a lecture would be taught on. For example, morning, afternoon, evening, weekend...

Is there any better (shorter) British English formulation to describe this?

  • 1
    "class time", normally, I think. Aug 26, 2016 at 8:33
  • We used to call them periods. "who's teaching first period English this year?"
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 26, 2016 at 13:30
  • Thanks @PhilSweet I think it makes sense but it clashes a bit with the notion of "study period" being often used as "from this day to day" or "week X to week Y"? (That's how we use period in our context) Aug 26, 2016 at 13:56

1 Answer 1


Classtime (or class-time, class time) — Wiktionary

noun 1. The time devoted to or prepared for a lesson at school or elsewhere; schooltime

Still most commonly encountered as two separate words, rather than in its hyphenate or compounded form.

  • Sorry for the drive-by comment on an ancient post, but for anyone who comes across this in the future: usually this term refers to time spent in class in general, rather than "the time of the [specific] class [period]". Certainly in the UK period is more common for OP's usage. Mar 1, 2019 at 13:56
  • @WillCrawford Yeah, that's right. Would be nice if you could add that as an answer as well. :)
    – NVZ
    Mar 2, 2019 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.