Checking here, it shows that I can use "goblet" but goblet is very medieval sounding and conjures images as if it is made of metal or gold and studded with diamonds. I am looking for a word which is to be used in the modern context.

Update- The reason I'm averse to using "wine glass" is because it would be used to contain something other than wine and using the term would just conjure a wrong image.

  • There are similar words, but I don't think there's an exact synonym of "wine glass".. unless the glass is used for something else (ex: a flute is used for drinking champagne).
    – Othya
    Aug 25, 2016 at 18:19
  • What is wrong with wine glass? It describes exactly what you describe. Can you describe in more detail what you are looking for, and why wine glass is not right?
    – oerkelens
    Aug 25, 2016 at 18:51
  • 1
    FIFY: winefolly.com/tutorial/types-of-wine-glasses You'll want to include your own research in your questions. I'm pretty sure I found this with half the keyboard tied behind my back. :-) Aug 25, 2016 at 18:55
  • 2
    Even if it contains something else, if you want to describe the specific shape (and material) of a wine glass, wine glass will cause the least confusion. A tumbler should never contain wine, a flute only certain wines, and archaic words like goblet will make people stop to think about its shape. When you mention a goblet I would probably not assume it's made of glass. If I drink water from a long-drink glass, I think the image is clear, and nobody will assume the water is a screwdriver just because I mention the long-drink glass.
    – oerkelens
    Aug 25, 2016 at 18:58
  • 3
    Gotcha. If it's a glass wine glass that will be used for something other than wine, more generic terms such as "stemmed glass" or "snifter" are fairly evocative for most people, I believe. Aug 25, 2016 at 19:08

1 Answer 1


In the world of restaurants the collective noun for all the different shapes and sizes of wine glasses is stemware. "Goblets" do conjure up a picture of metal vessels but these are not best suited to enjoying wine. Curiously, a type of glass popular in the world of restaurants in the UK and US in the 1950's and 60's was a Paris Goblet, the terminology denoting its spherical shape (with aperture). This was a stemmed glass the shape of a tennis ball (perhaps a little smaller) and used mainly for all kinds of red wine. The Paris Goblet has all but disappeared and been replaced at the high end by a bewildering array of shapes and sizes to "suit" particular wines, wine regions and grape varieties. In the UK in the 1950's and 60's a schooner was the glass of choice for Sherry. Ditto a coupe for Champagne now thankfully replaced by a flute.

  • This is a great start on an answer. Questions should be answered as an expert would answer them: comprehensively, with explanation and context. You've provided much good information. Could you please demonstrate that your answer is right, ideally with citations.
    – MetaEd
    Aug 25, 2016 at 22:53
  • The Paris goblet is alive and well in the UK remaining common, if not at the cutting edge of cool.
    – Spagirl
    Aug 26, 2016 at 7:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.