The question is kind of self-explanatory. I'm looking for a single word along the lines of "gearhead" that could describe a person who is really into tech and gadgets, rather than cars. Upon Googling "gearhead," there were a few examples where the word was used more in reference to what I'm looking for, but more often than not it's used in the context of vehicles and I was hoping to avoid using it...

Person 1: (gestures vaguely) "Look at that guy over there."

*person in question appears to be carrying various electronic devices, has a fancy phone, etc.

Person 2: "You mean that [gearhead]?"

  • 1
    Yeah, I've heard "gadget-head" a number of times, possibly more often than "gear-head" (though not recently).
    – Hot Licks
    Aug 23, 2016 at 1:19

5 Answers 5


From wiktionary.org one may append "-head" to make up new words. It says:

Etymology 2. Combining form of the noun head. Suffix: -head
Used to form (usually derogatory) words for people who regularly have their mind focused upon a particular subject, activity, or a specified drug or other substance, or who are addicted in some way.
motorhead, metalhead, pothead
Used to form words to describe people who are fans of something, especially music.

And this leads us to ...

1) Techhead

Tech-head - An enthusiast for or expert in technology, now especially computer technology.

2) Gadgethead

This seems widely used with many Google hits, though I haven't seen it in an 'official' dictionary. Meaning is obvious anyway e.g. from NY Mag:

15 Techie Gifts for Your Favorite Gadget Head


Don't stray from the gadget. Go with gadgeteer.

Gadgeteer NOUN

I'm not a gadgeteer; I don't enjoy the equipment as an end in itself.

Most of my fellow-divers were keen gadgeteers.

The gadgeteer takes items he finds during his adventures and uses his Engineering skill to transform them into gadgets. - ODO

  • 1
    Indeed, the first word that came to mind.
    – oerkelens
    Aug 23, 2016 at 8:55
  • Never heard of it. Regional usage perhaps? Aug 23, 2016 at 19:34
  • 2
    To my ear, gadgeteer sounds like someone who makes or invents gadgets. I don't think that's what the OP is looking for. Apr 2, 2017 at 14:14

How about: Technophile

From Merriam-Webster:

someone who likes and enjoys technology and modern machines (such as computers)


an enthusiast of technology

As with @k1eran's answer regarding "-head", "-phile" may be appended to words to create new words for describing someone who has a passion for a particular field.

From wikitionary.org:

Suffix -phile

Forming nouns and adjectives meaning "loving", "friendly", or "friend".

Scott is such a bibliophile that he won't even put that book down.


He's a Gadget geek.

A person who is obsessed with new gadgets.

You may also use Tech-savvy, if that person is highly proficient in handling new technologies and devices.


A propeller head (sometimes shortened to prop head or prophead ) is jargon for someone who is exceptionally, perhaps weirdly bright or knowledgeable, especially in some technical field. In computers, according to The New Hacker's Dictionary , it's a synonym for computer geek . The term refers to the child's beanie cap that comes with a spinning propeller sticking out of the top.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.