I'd like to know your judgments on the following sentences. Are they well-formed?
- Mary suggested him buying a laptop.
- Mary suggested his buying a laptop.
- What did Mary suggest him buying?
- What did Mary suggest his buying?
- What did Mary suggest buying?
Next, consider the following:
- Mary suggested him going to Boston.
- Mary suggested his going to Boston.
- Where did Mary suggest him going?
- Where did Mary suggest his going?
- Where did Mary suggest going?
I am considering whether there is a transitive vs. intransitive asymmetry between 1 and 2 on the one hand and 8 and 9 on the other; and between 3 and 4 on the one hand and 10 and 11 on the other.
I'd appreciate your help.