Is there a name for the black suit and brimmed hat (Google Images) worn by some Jewish men? It is not mentioned in Jewish religious clothing (Wikipedia).

  • The clothing is often just called Jewish clothing, or is referred to as Hasidic or Yeshivish clothing. While there are specific names for some of the more traditional garb, the terms are either Yiddish or Hebrew, not English. There is some discussion here, including some of the terms. Also, different sects favor different traditional garb.
    – bib
    Commented Aug 19, 2016 at 16:22
  • Jewish headgear - commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Jewish_headgear
    – user66974
    Commented Aug 19, 2016 at 16:23
  • Hasidic apparel? Commented Aug 19, 2016 at 16:28
  • In of the pictures there is the Shtreimel en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtreimel
    – user66974
    Commented Aug 19, 2016 at 16:32

1 Answer 1


Long, black coats that are different from typical Western sport- or suit-jackets are typically worn by various kinds of Hasidic Jewish men. They have different styles and go by different names in different sects. Some variants are:

Wide-brimmed black hats of various styles are typically worn by a broader cross-section of Orthodox Jewish men, including most Haredis, whether Hasidic or not. I've only ever heard of these referred to, generically, as "black hats." I have also heard of particular styles called by their conventional English names, including "fedora" and "homberg." If there's a particular Yiddish or Hebrew expression for these hats, I'm not aware of it.

Many of the men who wear black hats also wear dark-colored typical Western suits.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.