For example, if a solid metal rod is drilled down its longitudinal axis, the result will be a hollow cylinder.

"The cylinder underwent... [blank]"

In developmental biology, solid cords of endothelial cells undergo a process whereby they form a hollow cylindrical tube.

"The endothelial cells underwent LUMENIZATION"

....but I'm hoping for a more general term to describe this.

  • 5
    It underwent hollowing out. – Hot Licks Aug 16 '16 at 2:01
  • Are you looking for a term from biology, or something more general? – JEL Aug 16 '16 at 2:32
  • @HotLicks your comment is still the best answer ;) – Helmar Aug 16 '16 at 8:46
  • hollowing without the out might work in a technical context – Shorty Aug 16 '16 at 16:30
  • Sorry for the confusion, I guess I'm looking for a general term, but one that indicates the object is forming the hollowed space on its own (i.e. without outside influence - boring, shelling. Therefore, "undergoing cavitation" seems to be the best answer. Thanks guys! – dman Aug 16 '16 at 17:30

'For example, if a solid metal rod is drilled down its longitudinal axis, the result will be a hollow cylinder."

The cylinder underwent...

cavitation - the formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.

excavation - a cavity formed by cutting, digging, or scooping

gouging - to cut a deep hole in (something); to make (a deep hole) in something

| improve this answer | |
  • I think cavitation seems to work nicely. Thanks! – dman Aug 16 '16 at 17:29

With regard to the cylinders of an engine, typically an engine modified for use in car racing, the terminology is that the engine was bored out from 1071cc to 1275cc", for example, or whatever increase in cylinder capacity is doable (British UK English). As an alternative, to ream is the verb from the noun reamer, a cutting tool used in engineering to enlarge holes in a metal object such as a tube or pipe. So one might say that the metal tube should be reamed to improve the flow of liquid, etc.

| improve this answer | |

The 3D CAD program SolidWorks calls this process shelling. Typically it would change a 3D object into a hollow object (by default with a constant wall thickness), so a cylinder would become a cup or a tube.

The meaning is perfectly clear in the CAD context, but I would use "hollowing out" in a more general case- we don't want the reader to think of bombarding with artillery or shucking their nuts.

| improve this answer | |

I'd suggest 'decoring'. It may not be in every dictionary, but it has widespread use in engineering etc to mean what you describe.



| improve this answer | |
  • Actually, coring (as with an apple) would be more idiomatic. – Hot Licks Aug 16 '16 at 2:09
  • "decoring" is not present in any other dictionary, except for the one you noted, which almost anyone can edit. It's either not a real word, or recently made-up jargon. – user190075 Aug 16 '16 at 2:10
  • Maybe, maybe not. It is used plenty in engineering though. And you can buy 'decoring' machines. 'Coring' isn't bad either, I guess, though I feel 'decoring' makes what you're actually doing a little more obvious. – sir_gelato Aug 16 '16 at 2:14

Smooth muscle cells undergo a cylindrical structural arrangement forming a live hollow cylinder. Endothelial cells then start to line such cylinder forming the endothelial wall, which is the innermost layer of a blood vessel. The endothelial cells do not cavitate and form a cylinder. They just line the interior of an already formed cylindrical structure which is the adventitia.

  • cylindrical - (adj) - "having the shape of a cylinder"

As a matter of fact, you're looking for "tubularization" which is not what occurs with endothelial cells.

  • tubularization - "the organization of tissue into the forms of tubes"
| improve this answer | |

The cylinder could have undergone a "boring." It was bored.

Bore: 1. to pierce with a turning or twisting movement of a tool 2.to make (as a cylindrical hole) by boring or digging away material

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I believe that the sentence "It was bored" would be improved if one added the word "out" as in, It was bored out, the "it" referring to the cylinder. – Peter Point Aug 16 '16 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.