Is there a word used specifically to refer to all states of water (liquid, solid and gaseous)? Obviously, "water" would technically refer to all of them, but most people would interpret "water" as the water in liquid state.

  • 7
    Go chemical: H2O – Helmar Aug 15 '16 at 18:48
  • 1
    If you mean the point at which water is all stages, you want triple point. Otherwise, you could always define it, just as you did in your question. – VampDuc Aug 15 '16 at 18:58
  • 1
    or you could go with "water molecules" (i.e can be found in four states of matter ) – P. O. Aug 15 '16 at 19:21
  • 4
    If you like having no one understand you: try Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or Dihydrogen Monoxide (DMHO). Otherwise, context is everything. "May I have some water, please" == The speaker wants liquid water in a drinking glass. "This new exoplanet is 56% water." == Could be solid, liquid, or gas. – cobaltduck Aug 15 '16 at 19:51
  • 3
    @cobaltduck - Gasp!! You're recommending that people drink a chemical like dihydrogen monoxide??? Do you realize how many people are killed every year from inhaling dihyrogen monoxide? It's a very dangerous chemical! – Hot Licks Aug 15 '16 at 20:43



aqua ‎(countable and uncountable, plural aquas or aquae)

(inorganic chemistry) The compound water.

  • 3
    No. 'Aqua' is far more restricted in its distribution than 'water'. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 15 '16 at 20:18
  • 1
    "Aqua" is more likely to be considered a type of light blue color than water itself...unless you're speaking Latin. – Steven Littman Aug 16 '16 at 0:11

I think the answer is "Matter". I learnt science in primary school. I remember that there are three states of matter: Liquid, Gas and Solid.

  • Yes, but the question is specifically asking about one type of matter, that is, water. – cliff900 Aug 16 '16 at 1:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.