If document A references document B, is there a term to describe A’s and B’s role? Maybe we could call B the referent? How about A?


2 Answers 2


Using terminology from


I'd say :

A: referencing document (which contains references or cross-references)
B: referenced content (or item, section, etc.)


You're already mostly there with the wording of your question.

Document A is, simply, "the document". Document B is "the reference", or source.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.