I'm trying to find an adjective that describes someone who hates to inflict pain on others. This character doesn't want to tell his relative how an event went because he knows the outcome of the event would hurt his relative (if that makes any sense at all). I'm trying to use a word other than selfless because I feel I have it used it enough and I don't want to make it repetitive.
closed as off-topic by sumelic, Phil Sweet, NVZ, MetaEd♦, tchrist♦ Aug 3 '16 at 23:44
This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:
- "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – sumelic, Phil Sweet, NVZ, MetaEd, tchrist
I feel the word 'Humane' would fit.
- characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals, especially for the suffering or distressed: humane treatment of prisoners.
- acting in a manner that causes the least harm to people or animals: humane trapping of stray pets.
This may help: softie/softy
softy or softie: n. pl. softies Informal
- A person regarded as weak or sentimental.
- A person who finds it difficult to punish or be strict.
(also softy) NOUN (plural softies)
informal A soft-hearted, weak, or sentimental person: she is too much of a softie to fire anyone
More example sentences:
Giles was ridiculed all over again as a cry-baby and a big softie.
His temper in the office could be fiery and he might seem a bit hot and bothered but deep down he was a softy.
Hardchannel is a softy at heart, however, with a fondness for traditional American musicals, so that he tends to burst into song at unlikely moments.