It seems there are many negative terms for people who live in the country and lack urban experiences: hick, bumpkin, hillbilly, yokel, okie, hayseed, etc.

What about the opposite scenario where a person from the city lacks practical experience in a rural environment?

The closest I can come is 'city slicker' but that is a bit clumsy and doesn't quite capture the essence of naïveté I'm looking for. I'm open to non-English terms as well.

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 1
    Well, not exactly it, but there's "dandy". – Hot Licks Jul 29 '16 at 20:25
  • In particular, several of @Elian's suggestions in the above-cited thread look like they would fit your situation. – 1006a Jul 29 '16 at 21:06
  • I can't believe I broke rule #1. Thanks for the help everyone. – T. Markle Jul 29 '16 at 21:41

An urbanite could do as a city-dweller, but it is not especially disparaging—or naive. Else towny/townie is probably the most adapted.

| improve this answer | | | | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.