What do we call a small pond of rainwater that usually appears on the street after rainfall?

Can we call them a pond?

  • 9
    I think you're talking about puddles; ponds are much larger and, e.g., can have fish in them.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 14:28
  • 1
    A citizen walks in the pond caused by heavy rain: gettyimages.it/evento/…
    – user66974
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 14:37
  • 2
    @Josh61, that seems more like a flood
    – hkBst
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 14:54
  • 3
    Should we answer a question that would take 5 seconds on translate.google.com ? I am assuming here OP is non-native speaker.
    – k1eran
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 19:21
  • 2
    @k1eran ~ be careful there k1eran, lest someone call you a dirty bigot and exclusionist :) I've had my fair share of that.
    – user180089
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 21:30

1 Answer 1


If you mean this sort of thing...


... then it's a puddle.

By "Raindog808" from a post by Melina Maniscalco. Plenty more images there, too.

A small pool of liquid, especially of rainwater on the ground:
‘splashing through deep puddles’
figurative ‘a little puddle of light’


  • 2
    Any passing doctors would do well not to step in them. They may find them rather deep.
    – Richard
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 18:49
  • 2
    But when it's raining cats and dogs you have to be careful to not step in a poodle.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 21, 2016 at 21:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.