There are several distinct ways to differentiate men and women — chromosomal analysis, self identification, and visual inspection — we review each predication below…
Here predication is referring to one of: chromosomal analysis, self identification or visual inspection. The idea is that chromosomal analysis provides a predicate ("men have XY; women have XX") which is used to distinguish the sexes.
Am I using the word correctly here?
Other options might include:
- Distinguisher — I made that up
- Distinguishment — also made up
- Differentiator — I'd like to use word variety if possible and not reuse this word in the sentence
- Discriminator — perhaps only engineers use this word, also unfortunately "discriminate" has negative baggage which is not wanted here
- Standard — this is unnecessarily generic, a discriminator is more specific than a standard
In engineering and programming contexts it is common that you need to choose a word to describe each of a group of things. And then you use that word to represent those things. This is context in which I'm asking. -- For example "pick a number between 1 and 10 and then multiply that number by five". And programmers will say
$pickedNumber + 5. -- This is why I'm seeking a specific word choice rather than a way to reword the sentence to avoid choosing this word.