I would like a more formal word that describes the rectangle on the left as opposed to the slanted one on the right. For some reason, I can't seem to think of a description without being wordy...

  • It's the same rectangle, regardless of whether you depict it in landscape or portrait orientation. Jul 6, 2016 at 15:52
  • 1
    It's the rectangle which is tipping over, it's had one too many.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 6, 2016 at 16:02
  • @Mari-LouA: Or some too few.
    – Drew
    Jul 6, 2016 at 16:05
  • @Drew Oh, dear it's my left. Well then the rectangle is lying down, it's tired.P.S What's "upright" about it?
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 6, 2016 at 16:12
  • 1
    Rectangle on the left: couchant. Rectangle on the right: rampant.
    – Sven Yargs
    Jul 6, 2016 at 20:19

1 Answer 1


It appears that many are now familiar with and understand the page layout orientation standards, landscape and portrait. Thus the rectangle on the left has a landscape orientation. One might also describe the rectangle on the left as having 'the long sides aligned with the horizon' or possibly state it is has an 'orthogonal orientation.'

  • 1
    Thanks, I think "orthogonal" is the word I was looking for here. A quick search for "orthogonal rectangle" gives me some results from academic types who are using that to designate the shapes I am interested in.
    – WellWell
    Jul 6, 2016 at 16:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.