There's definitely a single word that is used to describe, when seen from a distance, a single row of trees on a hilltop. I searched quite a bit but am unable to find the word.

  • 2
    As a landscape Architect, I’ve been racking my brains for any relevant jargon, but can’t come up with term. I wonder if there is a chance you have heard a description, perhaps metaphorical, and mis-recall it as a definitive term? In the field of Landscape Design the closest I can come is ‘Eye-catcher’, which would usually refer to a built feature (rather than trees) on a hill at some distance from the main garden, designed to make the viewer change their gaze from close to distant. – Spagirl Jun 24 '16 at 10:22
  • 1
    I can only come up with "windbreak" - a hedge/row of trees or tall bushes whose purpose is to block the wind. – miltonaut Jun 24 '16 at 10:24
  • It's either a windbreak or a row of trees. Of course you can always wax poetic with "a crown of trees" or some such. – Hot Licks Jun 24 '16 at 12:16
  • I can't offer a single word for exactly what you describe, but if the hilltop is curved, you could say 'arc of trees'. – David Garner Jun 24 '16 at 13:19
  • 5
    A line one deep is a rank, and a line one wide is a file. So I could easily imagine someone talking about, say, "a starkly silhouetted rank of winter trees", and it would be both comprehensible and evocative, but it's using a general description. It may be that, as Spagirl suggests, you heard such a general-purpose description and mistook it for a single-use word. – Joffan Jun 24 '16 at 13:50

Perhaps you encountered


a row of trees or other tall objects.

Or perhaps you encountered one of the following and confused it for "a single row of trees on a hilltop".


a group or growth of tall plants or trees: a stand of pine


a small group of trees


Great answer from Silenus (collonade is particularly appropriate) but here is one more you could consider:

  • clump:

A cluster of trees; a tuft of trees or shrubs’ (Johnson); now also, a compact mass or patch of any growing plant, e.g. a clump of lily of the valley. OED

(I know from personal experience that these are most commonly on a hilltop and are therefore visible from miles around.)

A clump of trees

  • 1
    "An avenue of trees" would mean to me a double line (with or without a road between), rather than the single line that OP specified. – TimLymington Jun 28 '16 at 17:36
  • @TimLymington You're right, that was a silly mistake from me - removing it now. – Jack Graveney Jun 28 '16 at 17:41

Try copse.

Patch is also a close synonym.

...dense 'copse' of trees.
...thin copses of trees that scattered sporadically along the distant hills.

  • I think not. Neither copse nor patch suggests anything to do with "single" or "line". To the contrary, both suggests clumps, which are almost as far as you could get from lines. – Robbie Goodwin Nov 18 '18 at 23:42

protected by MetaEd Nov 18 '18 at 20:29

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.