Hello good people of the English stackexachange,

Non-native English speaker here. I'm looking for a category name for people that use cameras (photo or video), drones, different kind of equipment, to take photos, make movies, or VR or 360° experiences. These include both amateur and professionals.

Photographer (Merriam-Webster: a person who takes photographs especially as a job) or a moviemaker (Merriam-Webster: a person who makes movies) are specific only to a subset of the category I'm looking for.

I have considered:

  • media creators. According to Wikipedia: Media (the singular form of which is medium) is the collective communication outlets or tools that are used to store and deliver information or data. It is either associated with communication media, or the specialized mass media communication businesses such as: print media and the press, photography, advertising, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television) and publishing. However, the media term is much more broad than what I'm looking for.
  • new media creators. Again, Wikipedia: Common examples of new media include websites such as online newspapers, blogs, or wikis, video games, and social media. Same problem as with media.
  • makers. According to Merriam-Webster: a person who makes something; a company that makes a specified product. However, in the context of the maker culture: The maker culture is a contemporary culture or subculture representing a technology-based extension of DIY culture (Wikipedia), this seems to be misleading.

Bonus question: what would be the name of the category if it would also include music makers?

Thanks for your help!

  • 1
    Well-posed question, solid evidence of personal research, good context. +1. Looking forward to seeing the answers. – Dan Bron Jun 14 '16 at 20:01
  • 1
    I'm not sure about your "bonus question". Photographers and filmmakers have very close relationships of equipment and methods... music is utterly separate. – Catija Jun 14 '16 at 20:02
  • I don't understand why you've rejected 'photographer'. Photographers can be amateur or professional & use any of the equipment you've listed. (I know one who used tethered hot-air balloons to take aerial photos.) – TrevorD Jun 14 '16 at 23:36
  • 1
    @DanBron I'd generally say no. As someone who's worked in the film industry and who's hired a wedding photographer, if you want someone who records video and stills, you need to find someone who uses both terms to describe themselves. Most photographers are not videographers... though it's probably slightly more common to find videographers who will also do photography... but not necessarily implied in the term. Then again, from a "technical standpoint" the person who runs the camera on a set is literally called the "director of photography"... so... – Catija Jun 15 '16 at 0:03
  • 1
    + 1 I can't wait for this one. I've done all of the above professionally. Looking for a term for myself to put on my business card has eluded me for years. I've been forced to choose one of the terms for each different kind of contract. (The trade magazine I receive every month is "Photonics." – Stan Jun 15 '16 at 16:36

The informal lensman (American-English, Oxford Dictionary):

(A professional photographer or cameraman.)

Otherwise there is no formal alternative; you'll just have to combine:


Compound a new word: photovideographer or photo-video-grapher or (photo/video)grapher

If we google some of these options:

"photographer/videographer" 490,000 results

"photo/videographer" 67,000 results

"photovideographer" 2700 results

(note, 'photo' should go before 'video' because a video photographer is actually still just a videographer.)

You could use cinematographer but a cinematographer doesn't physically operate the cameras, he directs others to do that.

You also wanted an option for all of that + audio; for that you could use multimedia producer or multimedia creator, although videography can encapsulate post-production audio editing as well.

  • @V0ight thank you for all the suggestions. How popular is lensman? And would there be any issues with regards to gender neutrality? – Palm Jun 15 '16 at 18:06
  • 1
    @Palm It's not a formal job title at all; if you look it up on Linkedin then there are no results. I just wouldn't use it because from the examples I've seen of its use it's mostly used in the context of celebrity photographers. – user180089 Jun 15 '16 at 18:33
  • Cinematographers do often operate the camera... – Catija Jun 16 '16 at 16:50

How about 'visual recording artist'. (Beware that Virtual Reality may not have any basis in real recorded reality.)

  • Unfortunately, this is problematic because "recording" usually connotes a video (or audio) recording, and not a photograph, even though that is, unquestionably, a record. Things which are "recordings" (rather than "records") usually have a temporal, moving, aspect, unlike a photograph, which is a single, frozen, moment of time. – Dan Bron Jun 14 '16 at 21:29
  • 'Photon recording artist' would work for both (even if the photons are recorded in parallel). – AmI Jun 14 '16 at 22:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.