Address: #FloorUnit - #UnitNumber

Example: #123 - #123

What is standard name of the "-" in between FloorUnit and UnitNumber? Make sense.

closed as off-topic by Mari-Lou A, user140086, Lawrence, tchrist, Drew Jun 12 '16 at 2:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    You mean the hyphen? thefreedictionary.com/hyphen – user66974 Jun 11 '16 at 10:08
  • Please clarify what you mean by #FloorUnit and #UnitNumber. They seem to mean the same thing, and your example gives #123 in both cases, which doesn't help with clarity. – Lawrence Jun 11 '16 at 10:58
  • There are at least a half-dozen different terms that might be used, depending on the context. – Hot Licks Jun 11 '16 at 11:31
  • 2
    @Josh61 No, this is a dash, not a hyphen. – tchrist Jun 11 '16 at 11:46

Technically it is called a dash however if you were to use it in a sentence you might use the word 'to' or 'through' in its place but it all depends on context.

Example: "Apartment #100 - #102'

might be read as 'Apartment number 100 to number 102'

  • Shouldn't it be "Apartment numbers" (plural) if you are referring to 3 of them? – TrevorD Jun 12 '16 at 11:58
  • Does it sound right to say Apartment numbers 100 to apartment numbers 102? No. If I hadn't declared the second number then yes. – Dale Jun 12 '16 at 12:09
  • Sorry! I mis-read it. I should have suggested "Apartments number 100 to number 102". – TrevorD Jun 12 '16 at 12:14
  • This has a definitive answer provided by best practices in Typography. – Stan Jun 12 '16 at 12:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.