If you had a twin of the opposite sex, you would say "X is my twin [brother/sister]". It's understood that you are one of the two twins.

But if you had two siblings who were twins of each other, and you are not one of the twins, how would you refer to them in a way that emphasizes they have a twin, and they are your sibling, but without implying you are one of the twins?

  • 5
    Interesting question. Most families would refer to them as "the twins"; as their brother, you could say "my brothers, the twins".
    – Dan Bron
    Jun 10 '16 at 17:02
  • I'm not sure there's a single word for "my brother, who is one of a pair of twins, the other one of which is not me". Are you implying there is such a word in your own language?
    – Mr Lister
    Jun 10 '16 at 17:09
  • "This is my brother Tim, my other brother Tom's twin." Jun 10 '16 at 17:50
  • 4
    Some languages have very precise terminology for all sorts of familial relations. English isn't one of them. Jun 10 '16 at 18:40
  • 1
    "This is one of my twin brothers, Tim, ...".
    – TrevorD
    Jun 12 '16 at 13:34

I'd suggest "my brother/sister X, who's a twin". It's a bit awkward, admittedly; but I think the reason it's a bit awkward is that X's twin-ness is not usually relevant, so it's not clear why you're bringing it up. (In a context where the twin-ness really is relevant — like, if the conversation is about twins in some way — then it becomes completely non-awkward IMHO.)


If you want to refer to both twins simultaneously, you could say "my twin brothers/sisters/siblings". Though that could lead people to believe that you're incorrectly referring to your triplet siblings.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.