The setting is at a restaurant table/booth and I'm trying to describe a hanging lamp/candle/ornament/chandelier that is basically in the character's face.

The first word that came to my mind was overbearing, but I'm guessing it's more of a personality trait than an actual physical adjective. Even in-your-face synonyms all seem related to attitude.

Should I say overwhelming? Larger than life? If you have any suggestions, let me know please!

Thank you!

  • Does it have to be a single word? What's wrong with how you've described it here: literally / physically in his face?
    – TrevorD
    Jun 6, 2016 at 22:57
  • This post lacks research results.
    – MetaEd
    Jun 8, 2016 at 22:17
  • @TrevorD, it doesn't have to be a single word, but literally/physically/basically don't really have the strong negative/unwelcome connotation that I'm looking for :)
    – Kal
    Jun 9, 2016 at 16:14

1 Answer 1


You could describe the lamp as obtrusive.

noticeable in an unpleasant or annoying way

"The obtrusive lamp blocked his view."

  • 1
    Or the somewhat stronger intrusive. Please add some citations to your answer. One liners aren't typically well received here.
    – Phil Sweet
    Jun 7, 2016 at 1:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.