The term for stock needed that is already in possession is inventory. However, I don't know what to call the items that are outside the inventory that needs to be acquired.

What I want to do is keep track of the inventory (obviously), but also a list of items needed, that when obtained will be part of the inventory.

  • 1
    Deficit? Shortfall? – Dan Bron Jun 5 '16 at 10:44
  • 1
    If you need them you are short. – Hot Licks Jun 5 '16 at 11:32

The technical term that you probably need is:

the (inventory/stock) replenishment :

  • an operation that consists in making the stock full again in order to avoid stock-out. Replenishmentis typically initiated by a backorder passed to a supplier or to a manufacturer.
  • Replenishment is just the operation though, I want a term to describe the to be obtained stock with which the operation would apply to :) – user2901512 Jun 5 '16 at 12:06
  • The is no specific one word for that. Stock shortage would generally be used to refer the the stock needed to go back to normal inventory levels. ncosc.net/sigdocs/sig_docs/documentation/policies_procedures/… – user66974 Jun 5 '16 at 12:11
  • It depends on the circumstances. Replacing sold inventory with exact duplicates from a central warehouse is classical replenishment. Switching from spring to summer wardrobe is not replenishment. The replacement of an item having a limited time in inventory is handled by a planning function. You could call that projected. If approved for acquisition, approved, otherwise, you could call it requested or estimated. Replenshments used for the items themselves is common even if dictionaries have missed this. Replenishment items might be more acceptable to the professional, though. – Phil Sweet Jun 5 '16 at 14:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.