I read something a while back that defined all letters pronounced- and phonetically ending-with a long /ē/, i.e.:

  • Bee
  • Cee
  • Dee
  • Ee
  • Gee
  • Pee
  • Tee
  • Vee
  • Zee

I can no longer find the aforementioned reference; Google has been challenging.

Do you know of a word to describe this set of letters? Is there a reference that categorizes letter pronunciations this way?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Kristina Lopez, Drew, tchrist, user140086, curiousdannii Jun 5 '16 at 5:48

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    What do you mean by "defined" all letters pronounced...? Do you mean that all letters fitting that description are called the __________ letters? – Kristina Lopez May 31 '16 at 21:38
  • 2
    "Thoughts?" What kind of question are you asking? Are you asking just to agree or disagree, or are you asking for a relevant reference for this or what? – Mitch May 31 '16 at 21:52
  • @KristinaLopez, yes. That is what I was trying to say. Thank you. – Beez Jun 1 '16 at 15:12
  • @Mitch, a relevant reference would be good. If you know of a word, that would be good. Whatever help you can provide. I'd love to know a word. – Beez Jun 1 '16 at 15:12
  • 1
    Other terms. This article calls similar letters such as these "confusion classes". This article uses the term "acoustic similarity", which is basically a grand term for "rhyme". – MetaEd Oct 4 '16 at 20:41

I have found two sources that simply refer to these letters collectively as the "E-set":

Two sets of letters were tested, the highly confusible E-set, {B C D E G T P V Z}, and the full 26 letters.

—"Speech Recognition using SVMs," Nathan Smith and Mark Gales, in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 14, edited by Thomas Glen Dietterich, Suzanna Becker, Zoubin Ghahramani

In the case of discriminating between minimal pairs, such as those in the E-set vocabulary, (the letters {BCDEGTPVZ})...

—"HMM Speech Recognition with Neural Net Discrimination," by William Y. Huang and Richard P. Lippmann

(Bolding added)

  • Thank you, @sumelic. E-set vocabulary is certainly a proper way to refer to them: it provides good context. I shall wait a while before accepting as it is not the word I remember from back in the day. But, for now, it is a solid answer. – Beez Jun 1 '16 at 15:45

Try using a different search term. Definitions are not what you want.

You'll find several links if you use the search term "spelling English letters."

If you use the term "phonetic spelling English letters" you will get several hits that use the IPA.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.