I am looking for two words that would describe:

  • merge from two branches or forks;
  • merge from three branches or forks.

PS: am I "allowed" to continue the respective series by applying different numbers in Latin?

  • Research: so far I have found "biconverge".
    – Den
    May 31 '16 at 20:07
  • One merely reverses metaphoric direction and uses bifurcate and trifurcate again. Note that 20 miles east of Logan, the freeway bifurcates can refer to either changing from 1 to 2, or changing from 2 to 1; direction of travel is not fixed. May 31 '16 at 21:21
  • Biconfluence and triconfluence*?
    – bib
    May 31 '16 at 21:44
  • 1
    I disagree that bifurcate or trifurcate can be used to denote the opposite of their explicit meaning. Bifurcate means to split into two branches or paths. If you were to detail the directions when traveling to Logan from the east, you would not still say that the freeway bifurcates, but that it converges 20 miles from Logan. There does not seem to be any direct official antonym for these words, but I am willing to accept biconverge and triconverge as somewhat useful neologisms.
    – vynsane
    Jun 3 '16 at 16:59

I frequently use the word "(Re)anneal" to describe that phenomenon – (re)connections in computer networks are a constant. However, that's the term I used a lot when studying biochemistry, where it refers to the process in which two single strands of DNA recombine into their bonded helical form.

More generally, there's "consilience", which roughly means "a springing together" – like disparate facts suddenly lining up to tell a story, or maybe an interdisciplinary tapestry of the sort used by the Game's players in Hermann Hesse's timeless book Magister Ludi ("The Glass Bead Game").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.