Could when people please help me with the following definition?

I would like to know what the technical definition is when an individual uses the language of others or they adapt their language to a particular audience. E.g. When a person uses a word only when with a particular group of people.

Many thanks.

  • Like an American saying "bollocks" or "bloody hell" instead of "shit" or "damn" to a British audience? – NVZ May 29 '16 at 3:37
  • @NVZ Why would an American avoid saying "shit" or "damn" to a British audience? They are both common British swear words. – TrevorD May 29 '16 at 13:42
  • @TrevorD Haha. This could be a better example: Is it conceivable that President Obama might use the word “queue”? – NVZ May 29 '16 at 13:48
  • @NVZ Yes, that is a good example! – TrevorD May 29 '16 at 13:56

I suggest Register Change:

We use the term "register" to refer to particular varieties or styles of speaking and writing. Registers vary because the language is used for different purposes, in different contexts and for different audiences.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.