For instance, a cup of cappuccino was made with too much water and because of it its taste was not that strong. What are correct words to say it? Dictionary returns many options, but which ones are the most appropriate for given context?

Cappuccino is diluted | washy | watered | poor and weak | soft | mild?

  • 3
    I'd use weak.
    – Mr Lister
    May 27, 2016 at 8:12
  • 1
    Weak would be the word. @NVZ, even a mild coffee can be brewed strongly.
    – oerkelens
    May 27, 2016 at 8:41
  • @green Coffee is worth checking out.
    – NVZ
    May 27, 2016 at 8:43

3 Answers 3


As a speaker of American English, I would use the word weak to refer to the kind of coffee you describe.

I might also call it watery or watered-down, but, while they mean the same thing, they're less common than weak in these circumstances.


When I used to help out in an Italian family-run restaurant in London, the coffees ordered by American tourists were either called acqua sporca ("dirty water") or acqua nera ("black water") by the waiters. Nowadays, long black coffees served in Italian restaurants might be called American coffee, or a long black.

As for cappuccinos, if too much water (or milk) has been added, just say the beverage tastes more like weak white coffee than a proper Italian cappuccino.


Cappuccino is diluted. Cappuccino is poor and weak.

we can use both sentences.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.