Like title describes I need a word that best describes non-profit organization that mediates between company (as donor) and private person (as donee or receiver of that donation).

What is the right word for that?

As I know mediator, intermediary, agent etc. are words for person not organization.

Only word that I can think of is medium. Is it correct to name it that way?

  • Why do you think you can't use "agent" or "intermediary" for an organization? – user140086 May 25 '16 at 8:27
  • I don't know, thats why I asked :) But in this case where organization is non-profit agent doesn't sound well to me. Like Max said in answer below it suits more for company. It is agency in that case. – jakob May 25 '16 at 8:30

A "medium", as a noun referring to a person, means "someone who claims to be able to contact the dead, via some special psychic ability". So, don't use that.

The words you listed (mediator, intermediary, agent) can all apply to organisations as well as individuals, "mediator" & "intermediary" more so than "agent" (the company would typically be called an agency instead).

Another word used to describe a company which mediates between two parties is a "factor", though this may be purely a British usage.

If you could provide a link to the website of an example of this type of company that will help.


I just remembered that "Mediator", as a description of a company, tends to be used (I think) more in situations where there is some hostility between the two other parties - such as a difficult divorce, for example. This reinforces the choice of "Intermediary", i think, in a situation where there the two sides are trying to help one another, and need some help doing it. You could also use "Facilitator", which suggests that the "inbetween" company has specialist skills which are needed to complete the negotiation (which, again, may be the case for you). To spell this out a bit more:

"Intermediary" - acts as a shared point of contact between two parties

"Mediator" - acts as a shared point of contact between two parties which have some hostility towards one another (and thus need to be kept apart to avoid arguments)

"Facilitator" - acts as a shared point of contact between two parties who want to achieve the same thing together, but need some expert help to do so.

| improve this answer | |
  • There is no website of that company. I'am building system that involves these 3 sides, so I'm trying to find best words for naming it in system. – jakob May 25 '16 at 8:01
  • 1
    I would probably go with "Intermediary" as a guess, then, without knowing any more about the company or situation. – Max Williams May 25 '16 at 8:02
  • 1
    You could also consider go between, although this can have negative connotations of shady deals. Other words to look into include broker for the noun, and escrow or disbursement for the activity. – Prof Yaffle May 25 '16 at 8:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.