When a person is bruised, the colour of the bruise changes from red to a darker shade of red and finally to black. We could call it as a darkening of hue but is there any other synonym of the same, which would imply the progression of a colour from a light shade to a darker shade (apart from darken) ?

e.g. sentence - As the intensity increased, so did the hue _________ .

  • Darken is indeed the word; it's a causative/inchoative verb with the -en affix of lighten, redden, lengthen, broaden, and it means 'become, or cause to become, dark' and generally indicates a slow gradual process. – John Lawler May 21 '16 at 17:06

In a bruise, or in clouds at dusk, or in an angry person's face, this process of darkening in color is called purpling.

When you make a color darker, artists and designers generally say that they deepen the hue.

So you can say:

As the intensity increased, so did the hue deepen.

  • bruise was just an example, I want a general term to indicate the darkening. I,obviously, could not use purpling to describe the darkening of a leaf's green shade.... – user96551 May 21 '16 at 17:07

Blacken, blackwash, turn black, color, discolor darkly, ink, shade deeply--that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.