What is the widespread word to name the mouthpiece used by fans at the stadium?

enter image description here

  • 9
    I would call it a bullhorn.
    – zzxjoanw
    May 20, 2016 at 9:15
  • 2
    Yeah, a bullhorn is a hollow conical device which, without any sort of amplification, directs the voice. A megaphone is a device which serves the same purpose but which employs a microphone, amplifier, and loudspeaker.
    – Hot Licks
    May 20, 2016 at 11:09
  • 2
    @HotLicks - No. Both terms refer to the same thing and both predate electronic amplification. Only the obsolete speaking trumpet would refer solely to an unamplified device.
    – bye
    May 20, 2016 at 13:36
  • 1
    If it weren't for the picture, I'd be suggesting a vuvuzela.
    – mwfearnley
    May 20, 2016 at 14:41

1 Answer 1


A megaphone or loud hailer. They are commonly used at outdoor political rallies.

  • 3
    I'm going to guess that loud hailer is common in some non-US variant of English. In USA English, I've only ever heard megaphone and bullhorn. May 20, 2016 at 16:27
  • I think "loud hailer" is probably a nautical term.
    – Hot Licks
    May 20, 2016 at 17:22
  • I think the problem for the British is they like neither of the words 'mega' or 'bull'
    – JMP
    May 20, 2016 at 17:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.