I am looking for the word/name that describes a stick dug along with young plants to support/direct the plant growth.Picture of the stick here


It is just called a "stake".

A piece of wood or other material, usually long and slender, pointed at one end so as to be easily driven into the ground as a marker or a support or stay.

  • is there no specific term in botany or for context related to plants?
    – Salik
    May 18 '16 at 7:40
  • Uh, "garden stake"?
    – Malvolio
    May 18 '16 at 7:41
  • In the UK light ones like those in the picture are usually called 'sticks' or 'canes' (they are usually bamboo so 'canes' is the more common). 'Stake' is usually reserved for thicker pieces of wood used to support young trees and bushes.
    – BoldBen
    Mar 1 '18 at 10:21


a long stake or branch upon which garden peas are trained


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.