So I have this pretty large-size (water) pipe that runs to my house. A couple of years ago I had some guys run a smaller pipe from that "large-size" pipe to my barn. Well, my question is this: what do you call the smaller pipe that splits off the larger pipe and runs to the barn? I know that the first (larger) pipe is called the "main" (if I am not mistaken), but I have totally forgotten what the second (smaller) pipe is called, but I do know that there is a name for it.

  • No, it's some other word. But I do know for sure that there is a word for it out there. I just can't remember it. – user74809 May 16 '16 at 7:51
  • Auxiliary pipe? – Max Williams May 16 '16 at 7:52
  • No, not "auxiliary pipe" (even though it totally seems to fit the bill, it's not the word I am looking for) . They called it by some other name , I think. I live in North England, by the way. They didn't call it a "service pipe" either... – user74809 May 16 '16 at 8:02
  • Keep these mind, I just found what they called it in the second picture in the link you provided. It's a branch pipe. Thanks a lot. It really bugged me for a while. – user74809 May 16 '16 at 8:07
  • main and service lines; main and offtake pipes; Look here: city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/WaterWorks/files/… – Kris May 16 '16 at 8:23

United Utilities seem to call this a 'branch pipe'.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • Well, this is what the guys who ran that pipe called it... – user74809 May 16 '16 at 8:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.