As I understand it a "commissionaire" is only used in British English (or so says the dictionary), but then what is the American English alternative?


Typically people use Doorman

a usually uniformed attendant at the door of a building (as a hotel or apartment building)

  • And the British definition of doorman: a man such as a porter, bouncer, or janitor who is on duty at the entrance to a large building, is incorrect in the U.S.: bouncers and porters are not doormen (janitor means something different in England as well, so I can't comment on that one). – Peter Shor May 14 '16 at 11:47

As in MacMillan Dictionary the alternatives are :

bellboy : a man whose job is to carry people’s bags to their room in a hotel

bellhop : a person whose job is to carry people’s bags to their room in a hotel

chambermaid : a woman whose job is to clean the bedrooms in a hotel

and from Wikipedia,

"A bellhop (North America) or hotel porter (international) is a hotel porter, who helps patrons with their luggage while checking in or out. Bellhops often wear a uniform (see bell-boy hat), like certain other page boys or doormen. This occupation is also called bellman and bellboy."

  • In the U.S., chambermaids and doormen are completely different. – Peter Shor May 14 '16 at 11:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.