I would wager there must be a term of art describing what a fish does as it breathes, normally, underwater. Any thoughts?

  • This isn't a duplicate, because in this Q the fish is breathing normally underwater, and in the suggested duplicate, the fish is stranded on land. – ab2 MonicaNotForgotten May 13 '16 at 21:31
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question belongs on Biology; biology.stackexchange.com – ab2 MonicaNotForgotten May 13 '16 at 21:33

According to various source, Aquatic Respiration appears to be the definition for the act of acquiring oxygen for a fish although "aquatic" would be redundant in context of the OP.

Literarily, inspire could be used, if only by its secondary definition.

  • I think these are words to describe the breathing of fishes. I think OP is asking about the slow, partial opening and closing of the mouth as it breathes. – Jim May 13 '16 at 3:11
  • @Jim -- Agreed. – Stan May 13 '16 at 3:51

Both the following words suit perfectly to express the referred action of the fish when they

  • gasp
  • gulp

for breath or air.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.