There's like people who do baby-sitting, that is look after infants and toddlers for the parents. What do we call people who do this for the elderly? For example, my friend hires a "elder-sitter" for her mother. It's not a professional, just someone who knows how to care for the elderly.

Is there a name for this person?

3 Answers 3


Caregiver is the professional term. I'm not certain if there is a less formal word.

caregiver |ˈkɛrˈgɪvər| noun a family member or paid helper who regularly looks after a child or a sick, elderly, or disabled person.

  • Welcome to English.SE! Congratulations on your successful answer!
    – Daniel
    Commented Jul 2, 2011 at 15:28


  • 1
    This is probably UK specific, in American English we would use Caregiver.
    – Caleb
    Commented Jul 2, 2011 at 9:01

It can carry a slightly negative/mocking connotation, but the closest term I've heard to what you're asking for is granny-sitter.

(Others have given the more formal/polite terms such as carer/caregiver, though these might be taken to imply either a professional role, or a permanent duty due to family ties.)

  • This works, but not for elderly men so much.
    – Ed Guiness
    Commented Jul 2, 2011 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.