What is the name of the symbol shown below used to sometimes stylize page numbering or to call attention to an item in the page? It's hard to explain with words, but here's a picture.

dashes similar to em- or en-dash

Does this have a name? It looks like a dash with a tapered end. I'm looking for the general name of this type of dash, the unicode code, or for information about the font family that it is tied to.

  • 1
    It is not a standard typographic symbol, more like a graphic design.
    – KWinker
    Commented May 9, 2016 at 2:25
  • 1
    Please don't cross-post. This question should have been migrated, not asked again.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented May 9, 2016 at 12:00

1 Answer 1


These types of symbols are generally called ornaments or sometimes typographic ornaments (see here and the comment below for more info and alternate names).

Your example is specifically a page ornament.

I would not call this a dash. If you want to use it, you should probably search through various ornament packs (some fonts even have their own sets of ornaments). You might also consider asking on the graphic design SE.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.