Is there a single word that describes act of drinking and/or eating?

And is there a single word that describes the act of taking a substance?


The most common word for it is consume - to eat or drink something

Try ingest - it means to take (food, drink, or another substance) into the body by swallowing, eating or absorbing it.

  • Thanks; both words were what I was looking for. Will accept tomorrow when It allows me. – AGuestWithAQuestion May 7 '16 at 23:46

I think vickyace's consume is good choice, but another option that works for food/drink/drugs is to partake

1 (partake of) Eat or drink (something): he partook of a well-earned drink

2 (partake in) Join in (an activity): visitors can partake in golfing or clay pigeon shooting

3 (partake of) Be characterized by (a quality): the birth of twins became an event which partook of the mythic


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.